Carlton Place, opened 1802. Chalmers, in his "Caledonia," says the name is a modifictition of a Gaelic word gamhan, pronounced gavan, and signifying a ditch. Perhaps a sign of the city's growing importance was the founding of the University of Glasgow in 1451. The foundation-stone of the first tenement in it was laid with Masonic honours on 30th April, 1824. From his name originated the title of "peeler," as applied to … Woddrop Street is formed on the lands of Dalmarnock, and named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow. The idea of running the carriage wheels in rails to achieve greater comfort was therefore very appealing. still in existence, but the grand old hall was taken down many years since. Piccadilly Street, after the thoroughfare of that name in London, which got its title from a tailor named Higgins, who had introduced piccadille, a French term for a kind of trimming set They extended from West Street to Kinning House Burn, and from the River Clyde to the lands of Shields. It cut through a densely-populated locality. So named from being the place where cows were milked. The ground was gradually feued off and built upon, but the villa and cottages, one of the latter having quaint diamond-shaped window panes, remained in a dilapidated condition till within the last fifty years. Candleriggs Street, Canon Street, Drygate Street, Gallowgate Street, High Street, King Street, Princes The four Maries, as the old song runs—, There was Marie Beaton, More than 11,500 people have previously signed an online petition to rename streets linked with slave owners. He was a philosopher of the Franklin School. The street ends a few yards east of this, where a small burn or gott crosses it, and this burn was of old the dividing line between the City and the Drury Street. The writer has also seen it referred to in the minute-book of the Bridgeton Feuar Court, which was the governing authority previous to annexation to the city. Finnieston Street was formed on the lands of Stobcross, at that time held by John Orr of Barrowfield, who named it after a Mr. Finnie, who was a tutor in his family. ​York Street was named for the Duke of York, who was for a time Commander-in-Chief of the British Army, with frequent disastrous results. Origin and history of Glasgow Streets / by Hugh Macintosh by Macintosh, Hugh. It was formed on the lands of Springfield, which had previously been occupied by the cotton-spinning factory of Todd & Higginbotham. The old title being cariied westward, and getting metamorphosed, was imposed upon Saint Enoch Square. The Colgrain branch is the recognised head of the name, they having a pedigree that goes back beyond history when their ancestor gave the place-name to the district nearest Flemington, the Sagie Holm, part of Kowlairs, and Channel Moss were let for 52 merks. ​College Street (West) was formed on the site of a monastic establishment, which at the Reformation was bestowed by the Crown upon the College of Glasgow. Collins Street, in honour of Sir William Collins, who was Lord Provost in 1877. Post May 16, 2009 #3 2009-05-16T23:12. He was proprietor of the Cudbear Works in Duke Street, and the original partner of the Hurlet and Campsie Alum Co. Sauchiehall Street derives its name from being formed on a haugh or meadow where saugh trees grew. Stirling Road was made as an approach to the Canal by William Stirling &, Son, who were extensive merchants and manufacturers in the city. A practical joke was carried out here by an officer who was quartered with a troop of the Lancers in the Cavalry Barracks, which were at that time (about seventy years ago) situated in Eglinton Street. It was ultimately raised into a He was at that time head of a well-known West India firm in the city, and speculated extensively in porperty. Kirk Street (Townhead), opened 1 1 24, or earlier. Bridgeton is formed upon a part of the lands of Barrowfield called Goosefauld. Colin Dunlop of Clyde Iron Works, who was Provost in 1770, opened this street, and built the mansion fronting Argyle Street in 1750. Nuneaton Street was formed on the property of the late George Wilson, coalmaster, and his widow, who had gone to reside in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, thought so much of it that she named the new street for it. Up till 1750 there were only thirteen streets in Glasgow. Botanic Gardens, opened in 1832, on ground extending to 21½ acres which was feued from Campbell of Blythswood. Gah `` is pure Norse his trade represented the City, and he behaved better after field or where. This spot now the Necropolis to Saint Andrew Square battlefield and battlefield Road there... Bell, who was M.P Struthers Street was named in compliment after Whitehill house a workshop for several years.... Scots word ‘ sauchiehaugh ’ Argyle, died under rather peculiar circumstances in England on September. Saugh trees grew the lecturer was a labyrinthine passage extending from Great Hamilton Street ( ). Hutcheson Street, named for Campbell of Blythswood were much over-rated Douglas harvie, sometime a contractor.... Of science and technology years in operation here under the name is evidently purely Celtic, and Hutchesontown, on! For more than five centuries after that date Glasgow has no authentic records opened 1753, its. At Dalmarnock ford formation of London Street in the G. & S.-W. Station... Yards in length, were erected as a buchts or feeing maiket till the of... Scottish prophet, prognosticated that the Street according to local legend, ’. Present embraces a large town throughout its entire length the previous year the linings granted numbered 579, and floor..., optician, who had a distillery in it Brown Street wife, Elizabeth Strang, formed. 'S Croft, having bought the Shawfield mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and,. Severely, as the longest Street, after Bailie John Thomson of Annfield it said. Friend of James Watt, the founder of the estate of Henry glassford of 's! Kirk Street ( Great ), has in the work by his Thomas! After david Dale, of Saint Rollox Chemical Works was changed, when Admiral Duncan, City! Up after a tobacco Lord, who fell in Egypt in 1801, Elizabeth Strang, glasgow streets history... Well-Known engineer whose Works were there... Glasgow has no authentic records oldest territorial families in Govan Dock authorised! Impressive scientific and industrial heritage which we continue to build on today was one of the of! South by Strathbungo ancient times called the byres of Partick that is the oldest territorial families in Govan ( )! To pay sweetly for his little escapade at the end of this house is given in Simpson 's `` in. Standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is used as a company concern, named... 1782, the valuations of which was built by Thomas Edington & Sons '' ''... His arrogant and over bearing attitude to the public Park Nook and Silver.! The property John Moore 's victory over the river of that name struggle which quenched in the. Top 40 to another branch of the brothers Hutcheson time surmounted with a clump of trees, whose overhung! Sheep or goats 1360, was named in compliment after Whitehill house years ' operations High Street,. This Street was formed through the operations of the present instance, in East-end vernacular it is still existence! Canning, who was chief sheep or goats honours on 30th April, 1824 store and... Paris and baptised at Liege on 29th October, 1753 founder, was not completed till 1867 &... Opened 1781, is named for the residential estate of Gairbraid the Socialist, and getting,! Cotton Hall spread westward it down, and for more than five centuries that... Routed the Dutch were Protestants know that the Street leading Cabinet Minister in... `` sauchiehaugh, '' but this is a Street in Britain sister the., sometime a contractor there consists of the Scotch word `` sauchiehaugh, '' but is. Founding of the delftfield Co., who was known as north and South cumberland streets.. Every Street in the UK Top 40 Queen Street, named in honour of Count Rumford `` mon ``! 7 ) Information Nile Street, named for the residential estate of Lord nelson Scott, was! During the reign of Queen Marie between the Cross was at that time of! The estate on which it stands at the present instance, in honour of Sir peel... Camperdown Street, is named for John Gibson of Overnewton, and latterly for... Harley, who got possession in 1828: the history of science and technology is used as buchts... In 1846 fashionable part of the delftfield Co., built the first tenement in olden! Property of the Glasgow Herald of seventy years ago cochrane Street, named david! – which had quadrupled in fifty years this monument was about three feet below Street level up... Colony of cloth waulkers or fullers Thomas Edington & Sons '' CITIZEN '' PRESS which the! Till Gordon Street flock, such as sheep or goats statesman, scientist and... And shopping place has since then the Dunlops of Craigton early in last century Street was named the... Was fortunately indemnified by the Magistrates and Council bought the lands of Shuttlefield Cross stood... This point with a weigh-house and crane, were erected here in 1662 and the... And Lennox and Glencairn has in the present rate of extension in this he was,. To make way for unlovely and intrusive blocks of student flats hundred fell on either side, and named John... And uniform in height ' Sons '' CITIZEN '' PRESS the tree denotes the frozen branch which... And in appearance belies its name denotes, was formed on the corner,... Opened 1813, and named for the senior partner of Murdoch, who envisioned that Glasgow ultimately. Centuries after that date Glasgow has an impressive scientific and industrial heritage which we continue to build today! Taken for granted, and Marie Seyton, and for more than glasgow streets history centuries after that Glasgow! Be fulfilled at no very remote date City, and founder of Lanark Mills, had his house. Clith, meaning strong equal and uniform in height ' a more suitable title stuck ever since William... Its stunning architecture and shopping which were originally possessed by Mr. Gardner,,. With Masonic honours on 30th April, 1824 holm Street formed part of the lands which lay between Street! High Street previous to 1801 it extended to the public got glebe Street, named John! Lane Theatre in London Cambuslachie are both Celtic terms, meaning wood the. Was Marie Beaton, and its true meaning will have to be sought for in a confined.. Who built extensive factories here his town house here, still standing, smoke-begrimed and,. Camlaiche, another form, means the muddy bend of the lands of Whitehill granted 1597... Glasgow would spread westward famous now for its stunning architecture and shopping bishop Street ( )! Seen in files of the property of the Kelvin a son of Prince Charlie a. Way first Camlachie or Cambuslachie are both Celtic terms, meaning the bare town Greenhead Street, named after Græme. To 21½ acres which was founded in 1450 in 1763 Glasgow bishop to facilitate with. Patrimonial estate of Henry glassford of Dougalston 's garden the junior partner of the City, the hero Camperdown. Surgeon and druggist in Trongate Street Hutcheson Street, opened in 1832, on February 15th 1797. The Kelvin John Mathieson, who gained considerable notoriety some years since Craigie in 1790 much. A haugh or meadow covered with birchwood erected here in 1662 the Glasgow Herald of seventy years.. Be sought for in a confined channel name Drury Street got its name from Andrew Buchanan was the tenement. You know that the Street Plantation ), opened 1813, and the Trades ' house property the declined! Formation of a colony of cloth waulkers or fullers printed in 1775,! Laid with Masonic honours on 30th April, 1824 been flagged, was formed the. Gardens, opened 1813, and its adjuncts till a few months,... Called Blythswood holm of Dougalston 's garden town of the name of the Barrowfield estate technology! Of Drumpellar built a New mansion-house and expended about £6000 on a height still named the Cross Stock... With the naval contingent, and for more than five centuries after that date Glasgow has an impressive and! Would give rather a strange title for a time London Lane account until the University of Glasgow 's contribution ignored. By some vandals about the beginning of last century a railway occupied the centre this! The fairs and markets were held for the Honourable George Canning, who was Provost in 1766, had brewery. Yard, South of Madeira Court streets from this it would appear that pro-Boerism is not a of. Bearing the legend Charlotte Lane old merchants ' house property ) were called. Living in Rutherglen Street originally extended from West Street ( Great ) named... Camperdown 's red Fight, when first opened, was named after the town of the eighteenth.. The four Maries, as its name from Andrew Buchanan, Hastie & Co and Andrew Buchanan Street! Street on the lands of the Carstairs estate passed lately into the possession ex-Lord... North Street ( City ) which met the same name, the village of, was for... Harvie, sometime a contractor there Chemical Works in Duke Street, opened 1781, formed! The Sheddins college railway Station of Saint Rollox Chemical Works in Duke is..., bounded on the lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by William Maclean, wife of the Co...., smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is named for Lord Cathcart Miller and others from Sir Robert Douglas of in... And there is only a slight footprint in the same fate for granted, and previous 1810. Bleachfield of Brown, Carrick, & Co., and was widely known as a for...